11.29.2013

The Holiday Season Begins!



I love, love, love the holiday season. I love how at the end of the year we spend the last four to six weeks concentrating on family, friends and goodwill to all. At least, (for the most part) that's how we do it in the circles I run in.  Yes, I know,  the world commercializes both Thanksgiving and Christmas but I made up my mind a long time ago to refuse to let that ruin it for me and mine. I refuse to allow all of that other nonsense to steal my joy.

My holiday season started on Wednesday of this week when my Pastor took the church staff out for lunch. It was a bit of a last minute thing but it was a good way for end the two day fast the church leadership had been on and to touch base in what would be a short week. I love that we had Mexican food as a contrast to the ‘traditional’ turkey and dressing and such. I wish I had asked the server to take a picture as this would be the last outing I would have with this small staff.  My tenure as Pastor of Women is almost over.  I am stepping down because just before Christmas I am heading up north to spend some time with my aging parents and I didn’t want to hamstring the women’s ministry with what will likely be an extended absence. I’ve been saying ‘goodbye’ and weeping my way through the last month but finally I am coming to peace with the situation. As the holiday season kicks off I am looking forward to being in my childhood home for Christmas with my parents, something I haven’t been able to do in many years.

Yesterday on Thanksgiving Day my youngest son and I attended Thanksgiving dinner with friends from church, a holiday tradition. I think it’s the third or fourth year we’ve spent Thanksgiving with them and it’s always been such fun and such a blessing. There was, of course, more than enough food and yummy desserts we took advantage of it all. After dinner there was of course the gathering of the women at the dining room table where we laughed a lot and enjoyed each other’s company and conversation.There was also a group of the guys watching the football games on the big screen and the kids scattered around in various places playing video games. It was the best afternoon. Love the holidays among the people I love..

It seems my Thanksgiving celebration is not yet over. My neighbors from across the street are celebrating the holiday today with out of town missionary guests and I just got a call to come to Thanksgiving dinner at one o’clock. As I was planning to spend the morning wrapped in sweats with no makeup, barely combed hair and a pile of books, I need to get moving if I’m going to be presentable in less than two hours! I'll have to post the pictures in another post later this weekend.

Please take a moment and tel me about your celebrations at the beginning of this glorious season. I pray everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and also a joyous first day of Hanukkah yesterday. May you also have a continuously blessed holiday weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have had a wonderful dinner today. I am sorry that you are having to leave your ministry, but I understand your need to spend the time with your parents. I was so happy to spend the last nine months with my dad before he passed away and I am now spending a lot of time with my 89 year old mother. We are constantly talking about making decisions for her. I seem to be the only one of my siblings she can really rely on. I am so happy that I am getting to know you, Cassandra. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been happy getting to know you as well, Laura. One of the blessings of this blog and the internet is being able to meet other ladies on line and form connections and have conversation. I can see from your blog that we are much alike and I am glad to know you.

      God Bless and Happy Holidays!

      ~ Cassandra

      Delete

Thank you for coming by! Your visit to Renaissance Women means so much. I appreciate and do my best to acknowledge each and every comment. Please enjoy your visit, come back soon and consider following us via bloglovin' or email.

God Bless and Have a Great Day!

Cassandra from Renaissance Women